Monday 6 January 2014

Looking forward to 2014

Forward planning


It's time to put up our new calendars or wall planners and start marking in the exhibitions we'd like to see. I'm usually a bit last minute about my choices but this year it seemed time to think ahead a little. It looks like a lot of exhibitions are kicking off in the new year from the 15th January onwards, so there's still a little time to sort out our schedules. For this blog I thought we could take a look at a couple of lists to start planning for the visual arts and film out in 2014, with a few of my own thoughts about them.

If you want to see the original lists then follow the links under each section.



Guardian Arts 2014


Hannah Hoch
As a fan of the offbeat humour of Dadaism and the works it inspired, this exhibition should probably be on my list.
Whitechapel Gallery, (020-7522 7888), 15 Jan to 23 March.

Vincent van Gogh: The Sunflowers
Another London blockbuster exhibition of popular art but not a big pull for me as I prefer to see this artist's work in small doses. I like the link up between two museums though and hope that trend continues.
National Gallery, London WC2 (020 7747 2885), Jan 25 to Apr 27

Ryan Trecartin
This is an artist I'm unfamiliar with so I'd want to read up about his work first but his inclusion in the 2013 Venice Biennale sounds promising.
Zabvlodowicz Collection, London NW5 (020-7428 8940), 2 Oct to 21 Dec.

Sigmar Polke: Alibis
"This retrospective aims to show the German painter, sometime film-maker and sculptor in full."
Looks like it could be a good use of my Tate member's card, if I can afford to renew it again.
Tate Modern, London SE1 (020-7887 8888), 9 Oct to 8 Feb 2015.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/01/arts-preview-2014-daredevils


The Telegraph  - top picks for January 2014

 

Exhibitions


Jeremy Deller: English Magic
One I definitely want to see, as I couldn't get to the Venice Biennale and I want to see his work in person. Jeremy Deller makes the kind of work I'd like to be making myself. I need to find my own way there, so I take work like his as an inspiration that the art world still supports artists making socially-inclusive artworks.
At the William Morris Gallery, London E17 (020 8496 4390), Jan 18 to Mar 30
Update: BBC interview with Jeremy Deller at The William Morris Gallery


The Sunflowers (Van Gogh)
As for The Guardian (above).


Martin Creed
At the Hayward Gallery for his first UK retrospective, Martin Creed seems to be a very interesting artist. His  work has started to grow on me in the last couple of years, as I've stumbled accross more of his pieces that I enjoy. Like many of my favourite artists, his artwork combines logic and a simplicity of approach with a sense of humour, in what feels like an accessible form. Various pieces of his work started to influence the way I think about my own artworks while I was in the final year of my degree, so I'll try and make time for this one as well.
Hayward Gallery, London SE1 (020 7960 4200), Jan 29 to Apr 27


Artlyst 2014 picks


At first glance I'd say I'm most intrigued by the prospect of seeing Abramovic at the Serpentine Gallery and a possible takeover of Kensington Gardens. I hope we have good weather in June to get the most out of this. Andy Warhol, William S Burroughs and David Lynch have covered subject matter I'm interested in, so I should probably try and fit this in too but these are three exhibitions, so I'm not sure how that'll work yet.

Artlyst's pick of exhibitions in London, also included Martin Creed at the Hayward, plus ...

Hannah Höch at  Whitechapel Gallery 15 Jan -  23 March 2014 Galleries 1, 8 & Victor Petitgas Gallery  (Gallery 9)
Giorgio de Chirico Myth and Mystery at Estorick Collection 15 January – 19 April 2014
Andy Warhol, William S Burroughs and David Lynch at Photographers Gallery London, 17 Jan - 30 Mar 2014
Richard Hamilton at ICA 12 Feb 2014 – 6 Apr 2014
Richard Hamilton at Tate Modern, 13 February – 26 May 2014
Vikings: life and legend - British Museum 6 March – 22 June 2014
Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs at Tate Modern, 17 April – 7 September 2014
The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk  at Barbican Art Gallery - 9 April 2014 - 17 August 2014
Mondrian and Colour at Turner Contemporary, 24 May – 21 September 2014
Mondrian and his Studios at Tate Liverpool, 6 June – 5 October 2014
Marina Abramovic at the Serpentine Gallery, June 2014


http://www.artlyst.com/articles/future-london-art-exhibitions-to-watch-out-for-in-2014


I'd also love to hear your own thoughts and recommendations.

Talk to me on  +SR Firehorseart, Twitter : @srfirehorseart or Facebook :  sraymond.artworks