Monday 28 July 2014

Invisible Sketch for MK Festival Fringe

Project - 'Invisible Sketch' for MK Fringe: Pitch (events in tents)




This year I returned to the latest Milton Keynes Festival Fringe as an artist supplying a project for their Pitch three-day programme. Having been one of the support volunteers at the last event, I was keen to get stuck in as artist practitioner. Also the theme intrigued me, linking in with my interest in subjects that pertain to the collapse of social structures.

All of the participating groups and artists were given a second-hand tent each, to create an event around. As this was the first time I'd designed my own public event outside a gallery space, I decided to keep this one simple. As our events were to be around the theme of refuge, I decided that mine would be a space where visitors could share their own stories about places they felt safe and happy. To this end I created a sheet that gave visitors some suggestions about how to tell their story and I also offered to help anyone who wasn't comfortable drawing or writing a creative piece on their own.

To find a balance between options for expression and creativity the stories could be written or drawn, using the pens, pencils and crayons provided. The resulting works were as varied as my visitors, some only in text, one drawn in monochrome pencil, others in bright colours. I was particularly pleased about the wide age range of those that took part - from 4 to 60 years old. All the finished pieces were on display for all to see, in and around the tent for the whole three days.

The three day Pitch event ( 22nd - 24th July) sizzled in the baking hot sunshine, which presented some problems for staying cool but ensured we all got a tan. The MK Fringe's 8 day programme ran alongside the larger MK International Festival 10 day arts festival, with the Fringe focussing more on engaging local artists and performers, including small festival productions.

See my Facebook album of 'Invisible Sketch' artwork and pictures of the other tents here:



No comments:

Post a Comment